Friday, October 12, 2007

Films, filling food and fall.

Hello again. Not much to report here, as I've been conserving funds for my upcoming trip to Ottawa and Montreal. I have enjoyed seeing a few films at the Vancouver International Film Festival, where tickets were very reasonably priced (hooray!). The ones I saw were from Israel, Poland, Brazil and Russia. My favourites were Jellyfish and Ballerina.

I also enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving meal on Monday (it was a long weekend for the occasion) at a friend's house. There were about 10 of us and we had turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, cornbread, gravy etc - the works! And pumpkin pie (a favourite of mine) and lemon meringue pie for dessert. We were all completely stuffed afterwards. Here are a couple of pics of the food and people:


Tom and Tania (Aussies). We were able to sit out in the sunshine in the afternoon for a while, before it got too chilly. Beer, chips, sunshine and good company - who could ask for more? :-)



Tucking in! That's me on the end.

Thought I'd share a couple of other recent photos - this one is from a sunrise earlier this week. Looking out from my apartment I noticed the rainbow, which only lasted a minute or so.
And this is the stunning view from the kitchen window of the building at Vancouver General Hospital where I'm working at the moment:


You can see some of the pretty autumn/fall leaves the city is displaying at the moment.

Oh and a couple of funny things that have happened: someone asked me the other day if New Zealand was in the Philippines. Ummmm.... no. Not last time I checked. Another person asked me if you can drive to New Zealand from Sydney! And someone at work asked me if I know any May-ories and do they live on reservations??
To be fair, it was pointed out to me that a lot of people down under probably don't know a lot about North American geography, which is true. I just rely on the airline to put me down at the right airport - I'm no expert on what's where and how to navigate between cities!
And let's not talk about the rugby.
Till next time....

No comments: