Tuesday, July 17, 2007

And the winner is...

...Vince, who correctly guessed 'professional dog walker'! The vehicle part comes in because what they need is someone to drive round and pick up 8 dogs, then take them out in the mountains for a 4 hour hike on Saturdays, sole charge! Just me and the doggies! There are a few trails around where dogs are allowed off-leash. So the picture in my last post was from part way through our hike on Saturday, when we stopped at a spot where an avalanche must have come through during the winter - notice the uprooted trees? I went along with Niki and Josh who own the dog walking business. They are a really nice young couple and I liked them right away when I met them.

I find it funny to think of myself as a professional dog walker, because I've never owned a dog in my life! I could just picture dogs out of control and me running along after them, ha ha! However in the interview, Niki and Josh said that attitude and willingness to learn were most important. The training is 2 weeks full-time before I would go out on my own for a doggy hike. And I really enjoyed Saturday's hike. The dogs were all regulars so they knew the drill and were amazingly well-behaved! I quickly learnt their names and picked up on their personalities. So, as long as the training goes well, I'll get to drive a truck around to pick them all up and drop them off! Will be a good way to see some more of the city.

One interesting aspect is that we discussed what to do if I come across a bear while out hiking with the dogs! We saw fresh bear droppings (is droppings the right term??) and they told me they'd both seen bears on the trails I'll be using. One good thing is that the dogs will almost certainly alert me to the bear before I notice it, however it might be difficult to control some of the dogs that are bred for hunting, if they choose to go after it!! Coming across a bear doesn't scare me, I know that most animals will leave you alone if you don't bother them. But I'll need to learn a few tricks about keeping the dogs under control while they're off-leash.

I'm also starting two private walks after work (I'm still at the temp placement) this week. Usually Niki does these herself because the on-leash walks are usually just for dogs with health or behavioural problems, so Niki works with them while walking them - she's a professional dog trainer. Two new clients have come up with dogs who are healthy and well-behaved, so I get to do those ones!

Unfortunately it's only minimum wage, but I figured if I get paid a little bit to do something I enjoy already (hiking and walking), and spend time with animals, while also getting to see more of the city, then that's not a bad deal.

I think I have to wear a company shirt... will see if I can get a photo if that's the case! :-)

What else is news? Thought I'd share this pic (not my own) of my local pool... what a beautiful setting, eh? I've only been there once so far but plan to make good use of it over the summer. It's inside Stanley Park - I walk along the seawall around the trees to get to the pool, only about 15 mins from my place (which is tucked in somewhere between the trees and the highrises).



I'm off to Vancouver Island next weekend to spend a few days in Victoria with a friend who is visiting from Toronto. Looking forward to that!


No comments: