Thursday, June 14, 2007

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work we go!

Day one at my first temp placement: quite possibly the most boring day of my life. I checked my nails at least 78 times (what for, I'm not sure exactly) for want of anything better to do. I sat next to the outgoing office manager as she "showed me the ropes". This involved many long silences as we wracked our brains trying to think of something to talk about next. Turns out - and she wasn't even remotely apologetic in telling me this - she spents a lot of time surfing the net to fill in time, because there really isn't a lot for her to do! Everyone has direct lines so I only had to answer the phone a handful of times the whole day. She told me about how she's clinically depressed and married for the third time and showed me the box of band-aids she keeps in a drawer to dress her fingers several times a day because they crack and bleed - ewwwwww! (Not from overuse, I must point out). She's leaving of her own volition, however I have been told that she wasn't a very good fit for the role, and they want someone a little more proactive. But I had to be respectful and just follow her guidance today, as she finishes up tomorrow. They had a farewell lunch for her so I made myself scarce and took my lunch to the library and ate it on the steps there. Highlight of my day: the walk home!

I had another guy chat to me today after using the opening line "I hope this doesn't offend you?" while indicating the joint he'd just produced. Is a joint just an excuse to start a conversation?? We were sitting on the library steps, me about 3 steps up, and he proceeded to chat to me the whole time I ate my lunch. He's a construction worker nearby, originally from central Spain. Now I know how much he earns (more than me!) and that he's getting a $2 raise next month and that he doesn't really like getting dirty but hey it's a job, right? He left saying, "Maybe I'll see you here again tomorrow?". Hmmmm.... we'll see.

I hardly slept a wink last night as I was kept awake by the most infuriating noises of mice scrabbling around my room. Just when you start to drift off, you hear a rustle right next to your bed, and suddenly you're wide awake again. I don't pay this much rent to share my room with a bunch of free-loading rodents!!!! So annoying! Although I suppose my sleeplessness could be partly attributed to having gone out for a couple of drinks with a group of people new in town (lots of fun!), and then making spaghetti for dinner at 10:30 at night! I can now confirm for you that birds start the dawn chorus around 3:15, the sun is fully up by 4:15, and there is one type of bird that makes an unholy racket and makes you wish you had a rifle! (this from a girl who's never held a gun in her life and during daylight hours has no desire to).

So that was Day One. Only a month left (approximately). The grass is always greener, eh?

No comments: