Monday, June 18, 2007

Don't fall asleep at your desk

Day Two on the job wasn't much better, and I fell asleep at my desk! Which is not a good thing when there are three employees in the office behind you, separated only by a glass wall! I didn't fall properly asleep, just nodded off because I was so bored, and the movement as I slumped forward pushed my hand (holding the mouse) against the phone, giving me a fright and jolting me awake! Won't let that happen again! Luckily no one saw!

Today, my first day in sole charge of reception, was better as I was given a project to work on. The project being to update the HR files, which are a shambles, and create a new employee orientation program. So I spent the day working on that, which is reasonably interesting and should keep me awake for a couple of days at least, ha ha!

My other responsibilities include unlocking the office, making coffee, answering phones, forwarding emails, collecting and distributing mail, posting mail, ordering stationery, and various other bits and pieces. It feels a bit strange going back to such a junior position! I'm glad I don't have to make individual coffees, just get the machine started in the morning.

I finally made a return trip to IKEA on the weekend as I needed to exchange a couple of the items from my last expedition there. I ended up walking along the highway from the SkyTrain station both there and back and while unpleasant, it wasn't as scary as last time, as I knew I would eventually get there! It was faster than waiting for the bus. So now I actually have a quilt cover on my bed and matching sheets! Hooray!

The weather has been very un-summer-like, overcast and rainy most days, with the occasional glimpse of sunshine in the late afternoon. This morning was positively chilly and I wore my winter coat to work and wished I had hat, gloves and scarf too! Turns out that week of sunshine I wrote about a while back was the only whole week of sunshine so far this "summer". I'm sure it's going to turn fabulously fantastic soon, right? Pleeeeease??


Went for a walk after dinner tonight, along Stanley Park seawall. It seemed like half the population was at the beach because everyone was so excited that the sun was making a brief appearance at last!

Nothing much else to report. Went on a date on Saturday and it was a disaster, but I'm sure you're not interested in hearing about that ;-)

Bring on the sunshine!

No comments: